Sunday, May 27, 2012

Drawing R2-D2


I think this one was a little ambitious for me to teach kids to draw, but I know the children who remained to keep learning how to draw enjoyed learning how to draw this spunky little droid.  It is not as easy as it looks. And, once again, this one I drew is by freehand. I will draw a cleaner version sometime later and hopefully put this one to rest. Here are also some more pictures from the drawing workshop held on Tuesday, May 22.

 Thanks to my friend Will, who took these pictures of me.
 I like this picture of the poster at the door and me over by the easel. I think everyone seemed to get what I was saying. Communicating your ideas is important. As a artist, you communicate with pictures. If you cannot do this, then something is wrong. One thing I felt it important to do was check for understanding and make sure people were following along. Everyone who drew or tried to draw were at different levels of experience and ability. I thought all of the drawings were great. There were some really strong artists in this group. I tried to help as many as  I could in small ways at least to let them know where important changes ought to be paid attention in each person's drawing.


Here, I have put R2-D2 into four steps. Begin with drawing your basic lines. Steps One and Two are almost the same. Where it becomes difficult is to remember all of the lines that go on the cylindrical figure of this little android's body. The lines should actually curve and not be straight, unless you are drawing a flat, 2D drawing. This drawing uses curved lines and features. Although, I know that I draw well, this piece is pretty ambitious. But if you take time to look at pictures and different angles, I know that you will be able to draw a really good picture of this great character. Shapes to remember when drawing this picture are a sphere, and a cylinder, and a trapezoid. What other shapes can you use to make your drawing work for you?

If you like a good challenge, this drawing lesson will be for you. Whatever you do, stay positive, believe that you can do it, and keep drawing. You can do this if you believe you can. 

Until next time....keep drawing. 


 
As a bonus, try drawing this picture of Boba Fett that I have added. 


Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave comments. I welcome feedback.