Tuesday, May 8, 2012

How to draw a manga girl's face

Hi. This is entry is about learning to draw a girl's face, specifically from Manga. Recently I taught a workshop for an Asian and Pacific Islander Heritage Night at the Biane Library located in the Victoria Gardens. My message to the children was simple and that was to have a good attitude about drawing, using one's imagination, believing one can do something and to know one has to start somewhere when he or she draws. So here is one of four drawings I did as a handout for the kids at the end of the workshop. Overall, I felt the time was well spent and a huge success.
(You can click on any picture to see a larger image)

Also, here are some samples of other pieces I drew based on Christopher Hart, a popular children's artist of how to draw books, but with a twist:

This is a elf mother and child I drew. I have manipulated it some in a photo program that I frequently use. My original is in color, but I liked the monochromatic feel with this drawing.







This is an elf princess. In the how to draw books it looks slightly different, but i managed to tweek it to look the way that I want. I think it is okay to imitate someone's art if you are learning to draw or just want to be inspired as a fan. It is said that "imitation is the highest form of flattery." But, there also comes a time when you have to break away from imitating others and yourself develop your own ideas. 

I had been out of touch with the art world for a while, so for me, looking at books has helped me reacquaint myself to basic techniques and principles of drawing. It is a good way to get reconnected.









This is also another elf princess with a little critter. She was simple to draw. One thing I mentioned in my workshop was to use basic shapes, letters and numbers to create a picture. I also mentioned how it is important to pay attention to details. Sometimes the fewer details makes it easier to draw. This picture would be at a beginner-easy level.












Thank you for taking time to read my blog, and learning how to draw. I hope you have enjoyed your visit. Please come back for more lessons and see pictures posted. Until next time....

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave comments. I welcome feedback.